Here I am. On my 30th birthday - a little more wiser and lot less hungover than I was on my 21st birthday celebrating at a Jimmy Buffett concert. I honestly have never been happier in my life. I can't imagine how different things would have been today if I knew then what I know now. But then again, it wouldn't be the way of my world.
1.) Jean jackets will come back in style...
- Even jean on jean will be a thing in the near future
2.) Living with guys will always be a little bit gross
- Whether it's roommates or husbands
3.) Learn all the words to 'Shoop' by Salt & Peppa
- Even at 30 I still want to make this my go-to karaoke song
4.) Trust your gut
- If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck - it's probably your gut saying 'quack quack, Vick'
5.) Alcohol is only fun until it's not
- Drinks are fun but don't let it mask how awesome you are sober. You don't have to black out to show how fun you are.
6.) Cultural insensitivity is not the same as humor
- Saying something derogatory doesn't make something funnier - it make you sound like a jerk
7.) Learn the difference between food and nutrition
- beef jerky, Ramen and cheez-its are not great representations of a nutritious meal no matter how great of muchies they are
8.) For god sakes, drink more water (vodka / water doesn't count)
- plain ole water does the body good
9.) Learning to love yourself first is so much better than waiting for someone else to love you
- You deserve so much love your heart feels like it's going to burst. Start with yourself - appreciate your awesomeness before you ever try to convince someone else of it
10.) Happiness is finding yourself outside your comfort zone
- Ughh. This feels so icky sometimes but you have to deal with it. The sooner you do, the sooner you start seeing magic happen
11.) So you're fat - so what?
- this will not go away by 30 and maybe your kryptonetic thought but you have to get over it. You are so much more than your pant size.
12.) Travel often but not well
- Splitting rooms 8 ways, packing sandwiches for road trips, only getting a 30 second shower may seem like a drag but it will help you appreciate the fancy stays that much more
13.) So much of working is networking
- Just be open to meeting great people. It's not always about what you get out of it but just enjoying the interaction
14.) Don't be afraid of acting your age
- You do NOT need a suit jacket to be a professional. Dress your age. Act your age. Embrace each year and professional growth.
15.) Embrace rejection
- It sucks to have that guy hurt your feelings but it's going to happen all the time. With men, jobs, clients, etc. Each closed door is an open window so stay open to it. Don't be afraid of rejection and believe in your heart that it's for the best...because it is.
16.) You're going to feel poor - that's ok
- This is a good thing. This will make you scrappy. This will make you creative. This will force you to find a way out of debt. You will not feel poor forever.
17.) Don't die your hair red with a box from Walgreens
- My picture still exists in the sorority house with red hair that faded to a pink / gray within 3 days. Just don't do it.
18.) Money will never make you happy
- You know how I said feeling poor is ok? Well once you get money you'll understand that you can only buy so many 'things' but what you'll really love is the adventure and the time spent with people (and dogs) you love.
19.) Life is not a race - don't compete with those running with you
- Some will be faster, some are more athletic but you're not in it to win - you're in it to run. Stay in your lane and keep your focus ahead of what's coming instead of over your shoulder.
20.) Saying 'No' will feel so Good!
- You will spend so much time saying 'yes' to the things you don't want to do but once you start to find the things that really make you happy, it will feel so good saying 'no' to the things or people that don't serve you.
21.) Celebrate always and often
- YOU are the party!! Dance like no one is watching. Sing loud and proud (hopefully 'Shoop' one day). Don't let the little things get in the way like gossip or drama or fear of someone seeing your cellulite. Celebrate everyday that you get to live another day because it's such a gift, girlfriend.
How about you? What would you tell your 21 year old self??